Shape the Future - Become a LILA Board Member!
Lakes International Language Academy values individuality, and recognizes that each person has unique strengths and needs. We value community and strive to make connections with others in our school community and beyond. We are committed to providing a quality education that prepares critically thinking, socially capable, culturally aware young people to thrive in a diverse, global society.
Share your passion, skills, expertise, knowledge, and experience to help LILA realize its mission and vision by serving on the Board of Directors!
In accordance with Lakes International Language Academy by-laws, licensed Tier 3 or Tier 4 LILA teachers are eligible to run for the board if they have taught at Lakes International for one full year prior to elections. Parents are eligible to run if they have had a child attending Lakes International for at least one full year prior to elections. The board also includes a community member who is not employed by the school, and does not have a child attending the school in accordance with Minnesota Statute. While applicants may be eligible for more than one board position (e.g. at-large and parent), only one board position can be selected during the application process. Applicants will not be considered for other board positions.
- The teacher and parent seats are two-year terms.
- The community member seat is a one-year term.
- A board member may run for a second two-year term.
- No board member may be elected for more than two consecutive two-year terms.
- The election filing period opens upon distribution of an announcement by the Election Committee.
- Candidates interested in a board position must complete an online application and attach a photo in jpeg format. The photo can be attached directly to the application or emailed to elections@MyLILA.org.
- Candidate bios, photos, and answers to questions will be published on the LILA website for review prior to voting.
- Voting will take place online.
- All staff and parents or legal guardians of current students are eligible to vote provided they are aged 18 or older. For electronic elections, voters must complete the entire ballot.
- School constituents elect four board members in even-year elections, and five board members in odd-year elections.
- To have a valid annual election, 20% of the LILA community must vote.
- New board members will be announced at the the Annual Meeting in the spring, and officially inducted at the July meeting.
Contact elections@MyLILA.org or any current board member with questions.